Changing the name of your LLC or corporation is a two-step process.  First, you have to file an amendment with the state and then you have to change your EIN   with the IRS. For filing the amendment in the state StartGlobal will charge $499. You can send a request to [email protected] to get this done.

You must change your business name with the IRS if you change the name of your LLC. Under most circumstances, changing your business name with the IRS will NOT require a new EIN—though it will require an EIN name change. To make this determination, see IRS Publication 1635.

Sometimes changes to names are made right after EINs are issued. If you recently received your EIN and have not made any tax filings with the IRS, then send your business name change request to: IRS, Stop 6055, Kansas City, MO 64999

If tax liability for the EIN has already been determined (i.e., you've already filed a tax return for the entity), there are two ways to notify the IRS of your LLC name change:

When filing a current year tax return, you can change your business name with the IRS by checking the name change box on the entity’s respective form:

  • Corporations – Form 1120, Page 1, Line E, Box 3
  • S-Corporation – Form 1120S, Page, 1, Line H, Box 2
  • LLC (sole member) – cannot update name by filing return; must use Option 2.

If you have already filed the return for the current year, you do not have to wait until next year to change your LLC or corporation name with the IRS. Changing the name of an LLC or corporation typically requires a Certificate of Amendment to be filed with the state or country where the business entity was originally formed.

Deliver a filed copy of this Certificate of Amendment, along with a letter informing the IRS of the company name change, to the address where you filed your return. Corporations must have the letter signed by a corporate officer while LLCs must have the letter signed by a member.

Once you’ve changed your business name with the IRS, you’ll need to let everyone else know you’ve changed the name of your company, too.

Make a list of all the other agencies and companies that you do business with on a regular basis; be sure to include all state and local tax authorities, vendors, suppliers, service companies and banks.